Public speaking can be terrifying, and is the main reason that BarCamp attendees don’t plan on doing a talk during the event. But you shouldn’t be put off!
A BarCamp is the exact place for you to take that leap and do your first conference talk. Remember, BarCamp is a very relaxed environment, it’s all about coming together as a community, and you won’t find a more supportive audience for your first time speaking.
So, now you’re tempted, let’s give you some handy tips on how to prepare!
- Decide on your subject matter
- Outline your slides
- Outline your main talking points
- Flesh out the presentation with key pieces of information
- Add images to your slides to support your points
- Test your slide transitions
- Check the size and position of your font for readability
- Develop a colour scheme that flows throughout the presentation
- Record yourself for practice
- Run through the talk a few times to increase confidence
- Try delivering your talk to a small group
- Practice speaking slowly and clearly
- Don’t worry about being nervous, the most experienced speakers have nerves!
- Don’t worry if you mess up, just carry on
- Enjoy yourself!